what's the right wedding dress shape for your body?
If you are one of the many brides who has altered your diet, worked out daily and stopped drinking alcohol in preparation for your big day, you don’t want to hide all your hard work. You need to find a dress style that flatters your figure and shows off all your hard work.
Take a look at some of the most common body types and the dresses that flatter, and don’t flatter.
If you are one of the lucky women to have been blessed with an hourglass shape, then you should definitely embrace that fact. A fitted bodice will certainly get the job done, so a dropped-waist or mermaid-style gown will look beautiful. Additional figure flattering fashions to consider for your body type include:
- A bold colored sash that stands out can help to highlight your curvy waistline.
- If you want to accent the areas of your body that are petite, then a detailed floral applique can look spectacular.
- An exaggerated drop waistline can allow you to move on your big day, but will hug the curves of your body.
Not everything looks great on a curvy figure though, so you will want to shy away from some of the following details:
- Empire gowns
- A plunging neckline
As a pear-shaped woman you typically like to disguise your hips, so you want a gown that will flare out above the start of your waist. An Empire waistline on a baby-doll dress will look great, as will a detailed bodice or intricate neckline will all draw the eye up. Additional figure flattering fashions to consider for your body type include:
- Billowed tiers can hide hips.
- A one shoulder neckline can bring the eye upwards to your torso, and away from your hips.
- Fitted bodice gowns with large, full skirts can help to show off your waist but not bring attention to your hips.
- Empire waistlines will hug you where you are slim and flare out from that point.
Not everything looks great on a pear-shaped figure though, so you will want to shy away from some of the following details:
- Mermaid-style gowns
- Dropped waists
- Fabrics that are slinky
With any dress that you choose, you are going to want to add length to your frame. A modern sheath will look beautiful, however you want a hemline that isn’t too long or too short, as it could make you look much smaller. For those who are having a more formal wedding, sheath may be too casual, so an A-line and trumpet gown are prefect for your body shape too. Additional figure flattering fashions to consider for your body type include:
- A slim gown with a tulle or sheer lace can give layers sans the unneeded bulk.
- Trumpet skirts are perfect if you want a full skirt that hugs your frame.
- To elongate your torso choose a bodice that has detailing in a v pattern.
- A longer v-neckline will help to add height and keep the eye moving downward.
Not everything looks great on a petite figure though, so you will want to shy away from some of the following details:
- Large flowers and bows
- Too much embellishment
- Tiers that are poufy
Tall and Slender Women
In the event that you want to appear not-so-tall, then a silhouette with volumes and layers can help. Or, if you want to embrace your height then a sheath can look beautiful. This will give you a classic look that hugs your body. Additional figure flattering fashions to consider for your body type include:
- Defined waistline gowns so that you look a little more curvier
- An A-line or ball gown dress with a little volume can add layers without overwhelming you.
- High necklines can add the illusion of a more statuesque appearance
Not everything looks great on a tall and slender figure though, so you will want to shy away from some of the following details:
- Hairdos with height
For most apple-shaped women, the area of your body that you want to conceal is your tummy. To do this, you want to look for a gown that has a lot of beading or ruching around the waist and a basic neckline, like a v-neck or scoop. Additional figure flattering fashions to consider for your body type include:
- Gowns with wide straps can help to even out your figure.
- A v-neck is typically considered slimming.
- A hemline that falls above the knee can help you to show off your great legs.
- A waistline that is gathered can help to conceal your stomach and look a little more toned.
Not everything looks great on an apple-shaped figure though, so you will want to shy away from some of the following details:
- Necklines that are high
- Necklines that are off the shoulder
Keep in mind that the dress of your dreams should fit you like a princess, and all your hard work to look spectacular before your ceremony should be flaunted.